Reaching 95% of the World's Consumers
Yesterday, the Colombia-U.S. Free Trade Agreement went into effect. Check out photos from yesterday’s event at the U.S. Chamber featuring U.S. Trade Representative Ron Kirk and Rep. Kevin Brady (R-TX).
If you didn’t notice, May is World Trade Month, and FreeEnterprise.com has been publishing stories about how trade creates jobs and helps the economy. Make sure you read Courtney Saunder's May cover story in Free Enterprise.
In a new newspaper ad today, the U.S. Chamber lists five steps on how the U.S. can move its trade agenda forward:
- Approve normal trade relations for Russia.
- Negotiate a high-quality Trans-Pacific Partnership to tap into the high-growth Asia-Pacific market. (A negotiating round is currently taking place in Dallas.)
- Begin talks with the European Union on a Transatlantic pact to strengthen commercial ties.
- Begin negotiations on trade agreements with fast-growing economies like Egypt, Brazil, India, and Indonesia.
- Give the President Trade Promotion Authority to make it easier to negotiate agreements.